RSS

Checked Baggage Fees for Airlines Get Expensive

When I booked my weekend get-away trip to Arizona, I was not aware that my favourite airline had started charging money for checked backs. Sure, airlines have always charged for extra bags, but most airlines I have flown previously have always allowed at least one free checked bag.

It was only after I bought and paid for my non-refundable flight that I realized Alaska Airlines is now charging for any and all checked bags. They are obviously feeling the squeeze and are trying to accomplish one of two objectives - (1) cut costs or (2) generate additional revenue. Between the economic downturn and rising fuel costs, it had to happen sooner or later. Seeing as how I was only traveling for a few days on this particular trip and I am a light packer, I did not mind too much. I would just pack my luggage in a carry-on.

It turns out that Alaska Airlines is not the one airline charging for bags. In fact, JetBlue and Southwest are the only US domestic carriers that do not charge for checked bags. Prices range from $15 to $25 for a first checked bag, $25 to $30 for a second checked back, and around $100 for a third checked bag.   Need to check 6 bags on a flight? You will be paying $600 for the sixth bag on Delta Air Lines. (No, this is not a typo.)

As I boarded the plane, I soon realized I was not the only one trying to save money by packing my luggage on my carry on. As it turns out, more and more people are bringing carry-on luggage and maxing out the in-cabin storage. The flight attendant I interviewed said this was the part of her job she dislikes most. Since the change, she has noticed a huge increase in carry-on luggage. There is often not enough overhead storage and customers have to put their luggage under the seat in front of them. "This is frustrating all around, for passengers and airline staff," she states. She adds: "It is not likely going to change any time soon. Fees for bags are likely here to stay."

For me, I don't mind having to pay for checked bags. I am a strong believer in the pay-per-use paradigm. If I need to check a bag, I will pay the $15 or so. Most of the time, I will not be checking a bag as I can probably travel up to a week with the current allowable carry-on limits... for now.   Besides, not having checked bags means you can sometimes ask if there are standby seats on earlier flights to get to your destination sooner.

For a complete list of domestic airlines and their baggage fees, please visit the Checked Bag Fee Table on HotelDealsRevealed.com, a Priceline and Hotwire Help Website, Forum and Blog.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment